Pregnancy is a wonderful gift and comes with countless changes to your body. Some of these changes will return to normal after childbirth, while other effects may be permanent. Every woman is different, which means some women may have no trouble returning to their pre-pregnancy body shape while others will struggle to flatten their stomach and lose weight. Some women may also notice significant changes in their breasts after pregnancy or breast feeding. A mommy makeover is a term for a combination of plastic surgery procedures performed at the same time or in a series to achieve your ideal figure.
Our plastic surgeon can help you regain your self-confidence and restore your body.
If you’re struggling with the lingering effects of pregnancy, please contact Main Line Plastic Surgery in Bryn Mawr at 484-222-0010 to see if a mommy makeover is the right fit for you. Our board-certified plastic surgeon provides all forms of plastic surgery and cosmetic treatments to patients throughout Pennsylvania, including Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia, Bala Cynwyd, and South Jersey.
Mothers interested in the mommy makeover typically have a lot of questions and concerns regarding the process and the required recovery period, such as:
- What Plastic Surgeries Are in a Mommy Makeover?
- Am I a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
- What If I Have Another Child?
- How Can I Prepare Myself and My Family for the Procedure?
- What Should I Expect During Recovery?
- How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
- Why Choose Main Line Plastic Surgery?
Your body is unique, so your mommy makeover will be customized to suit your individual goals and address specific concerns on several areas of your body. This combination procedure often involves two or more of these plastic surgeries:
- Breast Augmentation: Motherhood comes with many changes to your breasts. You may be left with significant sagging or a “deflated” look following childbirth and breastfeeding. Breast augmentation can be accomplished with saline, silicone, or the new IDEAL implants (a saline implant that feels more natural). We also offer fat transfer breast augmentation which uses fat cells removed via liposuction from another part of your body to increase the size and shape of your breasts.
- Breast Lift: While breast augmentation can restore the fullness to your bosom, it won’t address any sagging. A breast lift is often included in a mommy makeover to treat drooping of your breasts, tighten the tissues, and reposition the areola (nipple).
- Traditional Liposuction or SmartLipo™: Our plastic surgeon offers two forms of liposuction: Traditional and SmartLipo. We often recommend SmartLipo (laser-assisted), as it has the additional perk of stimulating skin tightening (around 60 percent more than traditional lipo) through the stimulation of collagen and elastin by the laser. The recovery process is typically faster, and there’s less swelling and bruising.
- Tummy Tuck: An abdominoplasty is another one of the common procedures included in a mommy makeover. It addresses loose abdominal muscles, sagging skin, and residual fat of your belly (abdomen). Dr. Jean will excise the excess skin. He will also reposition and tighten the abdominal wall and muscles to provide a flatter stomach. He may use liposuction to address the love handle area.
- Mini-Tummy Tuck: The mini-abdominoplasty is best for women who have loose skin in the lower abdomen with marginal fat and limited to no separation of the abdominal muscles. Recovery is quicker than a traditional tummy tuck and can sometimes be performed under local anesthesia.
- Body Lift: Pregnancy (or massive weight loss) affects more than your breasts and abdomen. You may have loose skin and stubborn fat in many other areas. An upper or lower body lift can treat multiple areas including the arms, back, waist, chest, buttocks, and groin area. If the arms are the main issue, a brachioplasty could be part of your mommy makeover also.
- Brachioplasty: After weight loss or with aging sagging skin and excess fat of the upper arms can develop. If sagging skin of your upper arms are your concern an arm lift or brachioplasty may be for you. This procedure removes fat and skin from the upper arms resulting in a more contoured appearance. If your issue is predominantly excess fat with minimal extra skin of the upper arm smart lipo may be an excellent treatment option.
Many mothers are candidates for a mommy makeover. However, there are some stipulations and suggestions that will give you the best chance of achieving your body goals. Mommy makeover procedures are great for women who are done having children, have fully recovered from childbirth, and are no longer breastfeeding. This is because your body needs time to revert to its natural state, meaning your abdominal wall and muscles return to normal and breast size will decrease. It is best to wait six months after pregnancy or six months after breast feeding for any procedures. You can schedule your consultation prior to this time.
Having another child won’t hurt you, but it might reverse some of your mommy makeover results. The main goal of this procedure is to restore your body — breasts, abdomen, thighs, etc. — to their pre-baby prime. That’s why we recommend this option for women who don’t plan to have additional children. However, we understand unplanned pregnancies happen.
Mommy makeovers involve several procedures, some of which may be performed all at once, while others will require subsequent surgeries. Dr. Jean will discuss what to expect and how to recover during your in-depth consultation at our Bryn Mawr plastic surgery office.
There are a few ways to get your home and your family ready for your mommy makeover, such as:
- Make some of your favorite and most nutritious meals then freeze them in portions. That way you don’t need to worry about cooking but can just heat up pre-made food.
- Identify someone who can help you through recovery. This includes picking up any prescriptions or over-the-counter medications, getting you home after surgery, and making sure you follow the post-operative directions.
- Have several people available to help with children and other activities. You won’t be able to lift your children or objects weighing more than five to ten pounds for one to two weeks. Also you should plan on not driving for at least one week.
- Prepare your “recovery room” in your home with plenty of pillows to prop you up and a table nearby to hold your liquids, medications, and plates of food. Make sure everything you need is located on just one floor of your home to avoid the need for frequent trips up or down the stairs.
The recovery from one mommy makeover varies widely from the next due to the variety of procedures performed as part of a mommy makeover. Our plastic surgeon treats each patient as an individual and develops your surgical plan to suit your unique body and aesthetic goals. Dr. Jean will spend 30-45 minutes with you at your initial consultation to determine the best way to restore your figure. Your recovery will entirely depend on the number of procedures involved and if they can be done at the same time or as separate surgeries. Recovery typically requires at least two weeks prior to return to normal activities and a month or more before return to strenuous activities.
Main Line Plastic Surgery believes in being upfront about the full cost of your mommy makeover. We’ll work with you to figure out the best way to finance your procedures, but due to the variability of the surgeries and treatments involved, there’s not an “average” cost of a mommy makeover. We take cash, check, debit or credit cards, and can help you apply for CareCredit® medical financing.
One of the reasons our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Raymond Jean, went into plastic surgery was because of his passion for restoring the appearance of patients. He takes pride in his work and bases our success on your satisfaction with your results.
We’re available to answer your questions at all hours, and calls go directly to Dr. Jean’s cell phone on nights, weekends, and holidays.
Whether it’s reconstructive surgery following an auto accident or other trauma or reversing the effects of pregnancy, Dr. Jean can deliver stunning results.
If you’re struggling with changes pregnancy caused to your breast and body shape, please contact Main Line Plastic Surgery in Bryn Mawr today at 484-222-0010 to see if a mommy makeover is right for you. Dr. Jean and our welcoming staff provide high-quality plastic surgery and cosmetic enhancement treatments to patients throughout Pennsylvania, including Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia, Bala Cynwyd, and South Jersey.