Both men and women struggle with signs of aging, but many of the lines and wrinkles that arise as we get older can be addressed with nonsurgical cosmetic treatments such as injectables. The two main types of injectables are botulinum toxins (BOTOX and Dysport) and dermal fillers. The most well known injectable is BOTOX® Cosmetic, which can be used to addresses forehead lines, frown lines between your brows, and crow's feet, but there are injectables that can address nearly any aesthetic concern when it comes to your facial appearance.
Our medical spa at Main Line Plastic Surgery can help you get rid of lines and wrinkles and rejuvenate your skin by restoring volume and stimulating collagen production. All injectable treatment include a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Our fillers are typically injected using micro-cannulas to minimize patient discomfort, decrease swelling, and almost completely eliminate the risk of bruising.
If you want your face to look younger in a single treatment with no down time, please contact our medical spa in Bryn Mawr today at 484-222-0010 to schedule your consultation and cosmetic treatment. Dr. Jean and our experienced staff serve patients throughout Pennsylvania including Philadelphia, Bala Cynwyd, and South Jersey.
Our board-certified plastic surgeon offers a wide variety of injectables to give you a more youthful appearance. During your consultation, Dr Jean will spend time with you discussing your goals and the most appropriate combination of injectables to achieve your desired result.
Some of the injectables we offer include:
- BOTOX Cosmetic
- Lip injections
- Liquid Facelift
- Fat transfer injections
- Schedule your initial consultation and injectable treatment
BOTOX Cosmetic is comprised of botulinum toxin A, which relaxes muscles in the specific area it is injected. This injectable is administered into the forehead, brow and other areas of the face to address wrinkles and creases caused by facial expressions. Botox works by decreasing the force of muscle contraction in specific areas of your face.
BOTOX Cosmetic is great for those who struggle with signs of aging in their brow and forehead who aren’t quite ready for a brow lift. This injectable can give you a younger-looking appearance with a smoother forehead area diminishing lines and wrinkles without the need for surgery or recovery.
See before-and-after images of injectable treatments.
Dr. Jean will discuss your health history during your consultation, but most men and women over 18 qualify for BOTOX Cosmetic. The procedure takes approximately 10 minutes, and you begin to see improvement in the treated area in 48 hours, with full effect at about two weeks. Say goodbye to your wrinkles for 3-4 months.
Many people are plagued by a “double chin,” which is difficult to get rid of through traditional outlets. While a laser neck lift procedure can address this issue and more, some men and women want to avoid invasive plastic surgery. Kybella® injections can dissolve that submental fat. This injectable contains deoxycholic acid that liquefies your fat cells which are then naturally absorbed by your body.
Kybella treatments typically take more than one injection to get rid of the fat beneath your chin. Dr. Jean may recommend 4-6 treatments that are spaced out over several months. The individual sessions involve a series of micro-injections (up to 50) in the neck area. That number is based on the amount of submental fat you have and its distribution in your neck and chin.
Results from this injectable appear gradually, so you’ll notice your double chin recede in the weeks following your Kybella treatment. Kybella candidates must be over 18 and not pregnant or breastfeeding.
This dermal filler treats volume loss caused by aging. Juvederm® is an injectable gel that can reduce facial wrinkles around the nose and mouth, as well as add volume to the face in areas where it is lacking commonly the cheeks and lips. It consists of hyaluronic acid – a substance that is naturally created by your body for healthy skin, but less is produced as you age. This lower level of hyaluronic acid is one reason wrinkles develop and your skin loses volume. Juvederm addresses the lack of this substance instead of covering up the effects.
Juvederm treatments can be done over your lunch hour and there’s no recovery time required.
The procedure involves a series of small injections most commonly using a microcannula for increased comfort. You will see your results immediately, and they will continue to improve for up to one week. You can return to normal activities immediately after your treatment. Depending on the area treated, results can last a year or more. We recommend you schedule follow up treatments at our medical spa to maintain your desired look.
Some of the fillers in the Juvederm family include:
- Juvederm Voluma
- Juvederm Ultra XC
- Juvederm UltraPlus XC
Restylane® is one of the most common dermal fillers and the signature product of the Restylane® family. It works to add volume to your face in desired areas as well as treat fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth and cheeks.
This injectable is hyaluronic acid and works to plump up sunken cheeks and other areas of your face that have lost volume. Restylane fills in lines, especially around your mouth and nose, including “laugh lines,” to restore a youthful, natural-looking appearance. The results of Restylane appear almost immediately and you can resume normal activities immediately after treatment.
Some of the fillers in the Restylane family include:
- Restylane® Silk for Lip Enhancement: This variation is used to plump up and smooth wrinkles in the lips. Restylane Silk offers a natural look that doesn’t appear overdone or ducky. It’s great for those who’ve had volume loss in their lips due to age or for those who have thin lips. It’s administered in about 15 minutes using a very thin needle or cannula. You’ll notice more lip volume right away, which may be plumper than you expected but will settle down within a few days as swelling subsides.
- Restylane Refyne: A next-generation hyaluronic acid dermal filler “designed to help support your skin while keeping you looking like you.” As skin loses elasticity with age, the lines that run from the sides of your nose toward the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds) and the lines that run from the corner of your mouth toward the chin (marionette lines) appear more noticeable. Restylane Refyne is a specifically formulated hyaluronic acid dermal filler made with XpresHAn TechnologyTM that helps correct these lines for a more natural look to your face. The unique cross-linking of the gel in Restylane Refyne is also designed to help support your natural expression – for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when you're smiling, frowning and even puckering up. Treatment time depends on the number of areas being treated but typically takes 15-30 minutes. Results are immediate and you can return to normal activities or work right after treatment.
- Restylane Defyne: Defyne your expression. Invest in yourself with real-life results that help maintain natural movement to help keep you looking like you. Crafted with XpresHAn Technology™, Restylane Defyne helps smooth out deeper laugh lines (nasolabial folds and marionette lines) than Restylane Refyne. Using innovative cross-linking technology, Restylane Defyne is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that is able to help restore a more youthful, natural-looking appearance, while helping you maintain your natural expressions. Treatment time depends on the number of areas being treated but typically takes 15-30 min. Results are immediate and you can return to normal activities or work right after treatment.
- Restylane: A clear gel formulation of hyaluronic acid that is specifically formulated to act like your body's own naturally produced hyaluronic acid, helping to visibly correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, including the lines that run from your nose toward the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds) and the lines that run from the corners of your mouth toward the chin (marionette lines). Restylane may also be used for lip enhancement. Treatment time depends on the number of areas being treated but typically takes 15-30 min. Results are immediate and you can return to normal activities or work right after treatment.
- Restylane® Lyft: The first and only FDA-approved dermal filler (formerly named Perlane®) to provide lift to the cheeks and add volume to correct and smooth smile lines (nasolabial folds) and laugh lines. It is a thicker gel compared to the other Restylane products, which means it can be used for deeper wrinkles and facial folds. Anyone struggling with sagging cheeks and/or age-related loss of volume between your mouth and nose could benefit from Restylane® Lyft. Treatment should be done at least a week before a big event due to the remote possibility of bruising although this is not typical using a cannula for injection You’ll notice fuller cheeks and uplifted skin right away, but the full effects may take a few days. After a week, you’ll see a dramatic change which can last one year or more.
This injectable is similar to BOTOX and treats glabellar lines (11’s between your brows that develop with age). It is also used to treat forehead lines and crow’s feet. Dysport is an alternative to BOTOX and is preferred by some of our patients.
Dysport works by relaxing the muscles which cause the overlying skin wrinkles and fine lines. You must be over 18 and not pregnant or nursing to be treated with Dysport.
Dysport treatment doesn’t require any downtime and can be performed in less than ten minutes. Many patients feel that Dysport “kicks in” quicker than BOTOX and begin to see results in 48 hours. Full effect takes 10 to 14 days and last 3-4 months.
There are no long term side effects to BOTOX Cosmetic or Dysport. You can return to normal activities almost immediately after treatment. If you want Dysport or BOTOX to be effective for a special event, it is best to be treated at least a week before, but two weeks or more before would be better so you have full effect for your special event.
This injectable is an FDA-approved medication for frown lines and creases in the brows that are moderate to severe. Like Dysport and BOTOX Cosmetic, Xeomin® contains botulinum toxin A, so it works by decreasing muscle activity in the forehead to create a smoother surface with fewer wrinkles. Xeomin is promoted as the most natural botulinum toxin.
Treatment is in office and takes less than 15 minutes. There is no recovery period, and you can return to work and other activities immediately after treatment. You will begin to notice smoother skin in two days and full results in 10-14 days. The effect of Xeomin lasts three to four months.
This filler is great for increasing cheek volume and definition and correcting temporal hollowing. Unlike most fillers which are hyaluronic acid, Radiesse is a calcium-based filler which not only lasts longer but also stimulates your body to produce new collagen. It’s an FDA-approved product, containing calcium hydroxylapatite. These particles are very fine, which offers a smooth appearance that works right away to add volume where you need it.
What makes Radiesse unique is that it continues to stimulate your body to create more collagen over time, giving you continued fullness that can last up to a year and a half or more. We recommend yearly to 18 month treatment to maintain your youthful look.
Belotero® is used to treat very fine lines most commonly around the mouth but can be used anywhere on the face. Belotero is a hyaluronic acid filler but can be used very superficially in the skin due to its lack of Tyndall effect that other fillers may have. The Tyndall effect can make other fillers appear blue when used superficially in the skin.
Treatment takes 30 minutes or less and can be done in conjunction with other fillers to provide volume or treat deeper lines. Your results will appear almost instantly and improve over the next few days following your Belotero treatment.
Plump, full lips are often seen as a sign of youth and beauty. Some women have naturally full lips that lose volume as they age leading to lines not only in the red portion of the lip but also in the skin surrounding the lip. Other women have naturally thin lips and desire increased lip volume. There are several different fillers that can be used for lip augmentation, such as Restylane, Restylane Silk, Juvederm and fat transfer injections.
This is an extremely safe treatment that can be completed in 20 minutes, but you may experience some swelling which will typically resolve over 24-48 hours. Your lips will be numbed with a local anesthetic. You can resume normal activities immediately after treatment.
When age begins to affect your appearance, it doesn’t choose just one area of your face. Many of our patients wish to correct several problems areas on their face at once, but don’t want to have an invasive procedure such as a facelift. When multiple areas of facial aging are treated at once, the results can take years off your appearance.
A liquid facelift involves an array of dermal fillers used to reverse the signs of aging and give you a more youthful appearance over your entire face. For example, if you struggle with forehead lines, sagging cheeks, and nasolabial folds, Dr. Jean may recommend BOTOX Cosmetic, Restylane Lyft, and Restylane Defyne® to restore a youthful complexion. Some of these fillers will provide instant improvement while others take several days to set in, but you should have well-distributed results within a few days.
Fat transfer injections offer dual benefits. Unwanted fat that’s settled into areas such as your love handles, thighs, or abdomen is removed via liposuction; the fat cells are isolated; and then they are injected as you would with filler into one or more areas of your face to add or restore volume and treat deep lines. This is often done for facial rejuvenation, including increasing cheek volume, treating nasolabial folds, smile or laugh lines, and increasing lip volume.
Fat transfer depending on the desired volume of fat to be transferred can be performed in almost all body types, including individuals who are this and do not have a specific area of unwanted fat. Fat transfer can also be used to increase breast volume.
Dr. Jean uses a threading technique with micro-cannulas for fat transfer treatments to ensure even disbursement, which involves placing tiny amounts in multiple areas to achieve smooth results. Fat transfer can be performed in the office with local anesthesia or under general anesthesia in the surgery center.
If you’d like to address one or more signs of aging on your face, please contact Main Line Plastic Surgery in Bryn Mawr today at 484-222-0010 to see if injectables are right for you. Our plastic surgeon and medical staff serve clients throughout Pennsylvania, including Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia, Bala Cynwyd, and South Jersey.