If you’d like to increase the size and/or improve the shape of your breasts, you have a variety of breast augmentation options. While breast implants are the most common method used to enhance the appearance of your breasts, this technique isn’t right for everyone. If you’d prefer to avoid inserting a foreign object (breast implant) into your body, breast augmentation with fat transfer provides an all-natural alternative that delivers beautiful results.
This procedure uses liposuction to harvest fat from a donor region of your body (typically the abdomen, flanks, back or thighs). This fat is then purified and injected into your breasts to achieve your desired appearance. Breast augmentation with fat transfer achieves results that look and feel extremely natural.
Breast Implants vs. Fat Transfer
Traditionally, breast augmentation is performed with saline or silicone breast implants. This method delivers beautiful results that enhance the size and shape of your breasts. However, there are certain drawbacks to using implants:
- You will eventually need a revision procedure to replace your breast implants once they wear out (this typically occurs 10-20 years after your initial breast augmentation procedure)
- While rare, you may experience complications such as capsular contracture, rippling or implant rupture
- For women with very petite frames and minimal natural breast tissue, it may be challenging to achieve results that feel natural with an implant
Breast augmentation with fat transfer eliminates these issues. Fat transfer provides permanent results that don’t require a revision procedure down the road. Many of the complications associated with breast implants are avoided by using fat harvested from your body. In addition, because you are using a natural enhancement method, your new breasts will look and feel very natural even if you have a petite frame and minimal natural breast tissue.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
You’ll experience a variety of benefits from breast augmentation with fat transfer:
- Safest, most natural breast augmentation method
- Your body’s own fat is used, eliminating the risk of an allergic reaction which can occur when an implant is inserted into your body
- Long lasting, natural looking results
- Minimally invasive procedure with less downtime and a shorter recovery period
- Provides additional body sculpting benefits in the area where fat was harvested via liposuction
- No scarring in the breast region
Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer?
Ideal candidates for breast augmentation with fat transfer:
- Are in good overall health
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure
- Desire a modest increase in breast size
- Have sufficient excess fat in other regions of the body to harvest for the procedure
It’s important to understand that there are limitations to the increase in breast size that can be achieved using fat transfer. If you are looking for a significant change in the size of your breasts, implants may be a better option.
In addition, breast augmentation with fat transfer won’t address sagging issues. If this is one of your goals, Dr. Jean may recommend a breast lift in conjunction with your fat transfer procedure to achieve your desired outcome.
Contact our Philadelphia Breast Surgeon
Please contact Main Line Plastic Surgery using the form on this page or call 484-222-0010 today to schedule a breast augmentation consultation. We serve patients in Bryn Mawr, Villanova and throughout the Main Line of Philadelphia.